[TenTec] mystery Ten-Tec Omni

Scott Sheppard scottsheppard at videotron.ca
Sun Feb 20 19:40:20 EST 2005

First off, thanks to all those who replied with help on my dead TX. It is now fixed after replacing numerous components it turned out to be a broken wire input to the Low Level Driver. What a great way to get to know a radio--spend a few hours taking it apart!

I do, however, have some more questions. I have read many posts but am still unclear on a few items:

1) I know the Omni A, D , C, series B etc etc has been beaten to death and I think I have a good handle on it. However, I think "my rig is different" because of the following:

-I purchased it used as an Omni D Ser B.
-the ser number reads 545-0622
-the back heat sink reads "HF Tran. 545 Series B, Ten-Tec etc...

-the front panel has all bands 160 thru 10 as well as all WARC bands (Not aux pos's) dial positions.
-3 way Crystal filter switch w/filters
-3 way audio switch
-Notch filter, Noise Blanker dials, REF Atten etc etc.
-the manual I rec'd with the rig and matching model 255 pwr supply refer to diagrams, etc with Ser C written on it.

To all external appearance it looks like a ser C ??

Is it possible some parts were mixed and matched? (the radio orig came from Tenessee) or is what I have a Ser B with all the options? I thought the Ser B was a 546, and even then only had Aux pos for WARC. If not a ser c what else would it have?

All that said, to have 18Mhz, what do I require, Just a x-tal or an entire kit?

A long winded multi question post I realize, but I am trying to get up to speed as quickly as I can.

Kind regards,

Scott  VA3ZW

PS: Moderator, how do I join this group?