[TenTec] ORION_HELP

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Feb 22 08:03:59 EST 2005

George,

If the Orion reset doesn't cure your problems, then for the PTT problem,
turn the Orion's power all the way down and try it.  You know there will be
no RF in the shack with the Orion only putting out a watt or two.  If the
problem still exists, then it's not an RF problem.  Try cleaning the
contacts of the mic's PTT switch.

I can't remember whether or not the Orion's internal keyer can be switched
between modes A and B, but if it can, you might try switching to the other
mode.  That might be the mode you are more used to.

Gud Luk

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of George
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 4:45 PM
To: TenTec at contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ORION_HELP

I have been using my Orion for about 4 months now and I have found a few
quarks with it.
This week-end I was in the CW DX contest and I noticed that the internal
keyer, at times, put too many dots in. Say I sent a S it sent a H. Maybe it
was my bencher paddle or ME? But I hope not. I was running 25WPM. Never had
these problems with the 756 ProII internal keyer.
The other thing is the 706 mic. That PTT isn't what I'm use to with my Icom
SM-6 mic. Sometimes I have to push the PTT two or three times to get the
Orion into transmit. It's frustrating when trying for that rare DX!
I know it sounds like stray RF but I don't have any RF, I think, in the
shack that I know of.
Any thoughts? Anyone concur?
George  W2YJ