[TenTec] Ten Tec rig I'd like to have.

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 1 10:12:12 EST 2005

--- Barry N1EU <n1eu at netscape.net> wrote:

<snip>

 My second pipe dream would be
> for it to feature an intentionally pluggable/upgradeable
> architecture that will accept future faster CPU's and DSP
> processors.
>
> 73 & H2K5,
> Barry N1EU

That "plug in" architecture would be called the PC PCI bus
that's already here. In fact there are hundreds of millions
of devices already using it, just not many radios (yet) ;).

This weekend I have been playing around some more with the
Flex radio SDR-1000, all in all a very impressive performing
RX. It handily outperforms the Pegasus in most respects.

Have also been playing around with the Time Machine and LO1
boards from Expanded Spectrum Systems. Just feed the board a
LO signal from my signal generator and a antenna lead then
feed its I/Q output to a sound card, then run SDRadio from
I2PHD and viola,... instant SDR RX :). The RX is complete
with 48 kHz panadapter nearly infinitely adjustable IF filter
bandwidths and PBT. I'm sure it is a bit limited in dynamic
range performance but sure is tons of fun to experiment with.
Haven't had this much fun with new piece of radio gear since
I bought the first Pegasus.

I really wish Ten Tec would start designing radios built
around the ubiquitous PC PCI bus. It is a relatively easy and
very economical way to have lots of CPU power for control and
graphical displays plus it is a natural for building SDR
radio without all of the limitations of the typical embedded
processor like the Dragon Ball.

Duane
N9DG