[TenTec] Ten Tec rig I'd like to have.

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Jan 1 14:02:10 EST 2005

<SNIP> How about a modern update of the Atlas 210X/215X series
design (ala Swan). Make it a single conversion radio like the
venerable 210/215 with just a plain and highly stable VFO
(digitally stabilized), <SNIP>

The biggest drawback to this design, Duane, is that there is no PBT possible
and I find that to be one of the most desirable features of an SSB radio.
This is my biggest complaint about the K2.

Also, a pure analog radio doesn't have the stability required for many
digital modes and it's these small portable rigs that people will want to
take on expeditions.  I see no way of avoiding digital technologies today.

Again we have to decide if our focus is on "cheap and portable" or if it is
on relatively inexpensive, portable, but excellent fundamental RF specs.

I don't think it would be beneficial for Ten-Tec to build a 1:1 competitor
for the K2 or K2/100.  They might erode business from the K2 but the market
probably won't support two vendors.  K2 has this market wrapped up.

Yaesu has focused on the small and portable requirements, but at the cost of
basic RF specs.  I would take one of their radios on my holiday vacation but
not to do a contest.  I also would not choose one of these to be my only
rig.

Icom had a killer product with its 706 line.  I still have one as my mobile.
Although I'd like to see Ten-Tec offer a product here, they would compete
against Icom and Yaesu and it would be difficult.

Kenwood seems to be focusing on offering a good mid-range product, both for
the desktop and for portable, with emphasis being more on SSB than on CW.
They have abandoned the high-end and mobile markets.

Ten-Tec has a great high-end product and great entry-level product - both of
which may be computer controlled.

The high end has Ten-Tec, ICOM, and Yaesu offering products.

WHAT's LEFT?  WHAT's MISSING?

In my opinion what is missing is a good mid-range (from price)
conveniently-sized box with TOP RF specs.  It should have Orion-class RX
capability and reliable 100w output.  It must be equally good in SSB and CW
(I'm assuming the SSB specs include the digital mode specs).

THERE IS CURRENTLY A HOLE IN THE MARKET - NOBODY BUILDS THIS TYPE OF
PRODUCT.  The closest you can get (in my opinion) is a K2/100 and that's why
I just recently bought one.  It's not my dream radio but it will do until
something better comes along.  For me it's too small and I miss the PBT.

I think it is this market segment that offers Ten-Tec the greater chance of
ROI (if they do an additional product line) and I hope we can collectively
persuade Ten-Tec to build a product here.

73
Rick
(a CW Contester and SSB Rag Chewer)