[TenTec] Re: Orion subreceiver

Richard Detweiler rdetweil at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 5 10:54:40 EST 2005

As a side note,

The use of the sub-rx for diversity reception greatly increases copy when
you are using compromised antennas as well.  This is true for any band but
more so on 160/80.

I use a Butternut HF9V 26' vertical and a W9INN 42' dipole.  Both are
marginal receive antennas to say the least, but combined with diversity
stereo reception, many unreadable signals at least becomes readable.    It's
the difference of knowing when to send your call and if the reply was for
you in a pile up for a weak signal.  It's the difference between a QSO and
no QSO.

It isn't going to compete with a beverage or pennant on 160/80 but it
definately helps.

This one capability of the Orion makes it worth the cost and learning curve
to me.

Another advantage of stereo reception is I can easily switch TX antenna to
the antenna that is receiving the best at the moment I'm ready to call.
Although I almost always use the vertical for TX,  There have been a few
cases where the horizontal phase was readable on the other end when the
vertical was not.

Having the Sub-RX equal to the Main RX isn't as important unless there are
strong near by signals causing the IMD,  Yet it would be usefull as
mentioned to have identical receivers.

Perhaps what is needed are 3 receivers.  2 very good receivers with all
associated roofing filters,  then a General coverage receiver as the Sub RX
is now.

Best 73's
Rich
K5SF