[TenTec] Noisy RF Environment

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Wed Jan 5 21:11:51 EST 2005

Phil Chambley, Sr. wrote:

>Pursuing Jerry's comment about noisy environs, several of the neighborhood kids got these battery-powered motor scooters for Christmas.  The chargers are 24 volt switching supplies, and they are eating me alive.  The Paragon and Paragon II noise blanking circuits will only start removing the hash long after audio on SSB has been destroyed.  CW sounds like it's coming through DSP heterodyne filters.
>
>I know Riley would be on my side if it came to that, but how would you handle it without having disharmony in the neighborhood?
>
>Anyone have any experience with filtering these scooter chargers?  This stuff is 10-15 dB over 9.
>
>Phil C.
>K4DPK
>VFO Stabilizers and PEP adapters for wattmeters...Check out http://home.comcast.net/~k4dpk

Seems to me there was a article in a recent QST about switching power
supplies and the RFI they can generate. Perhaps there is a starting point.

I would imagine like many manufacturers they keep parts cost down so
there probably are't any brut force RFI filters on the AC inputs. If it
was my switching power supply I would start there and then probably
change the output wiring to a shielded type, maybe wrap it around a
large toroid. Hmmmm, it is always so touch and go when the offending
device belongs to someone else.

Jerry