[TenTec] Re; Adding 2.8 kHz filters to OMNI VI

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Thu Jan 6 23:26:07 EST 2005

> Question: what are the practical effects of an "unbalanced" SSB
> signal? As Barry has noted, there is an enclosure with the 2.8 kHz
> filter that says the carrier "may have to be balanced." I haven't done
> anything to balance the carrier and cannot notice any problem when
> listening to the OMNI in another receiver. What should I be looking for?

Perhaps "modulator balance" or "carrier null" would have been a better
lable for Ten-Tec or other SSB radio manufacturers to use. A carrier
balance control is used to null the carrier in a balanced modulator. If
not properly nulled, you will be transmitting AM (perhaps with only one
sideband) instead of SSB, which should transmit no carrier. This will
waste your transmit power in the unnecessary carrier and annoy others on
the band. If the amount of carrier is significant you will have to
reduce your TX audio level so that the combined carrier and sideband
power does not drive any stage of your transmitter in to nonlinearity.
Also the carrier will increase the duty cycle of that your amplifiers
and power supplies have to provide.

DE N6KB