[TenTec] 2.8khz and Carrier Balance??? (LONG!!!)

Phil Chambley, Sr. k4dpk at comcast.net
Fri Jan 7 22:56:52 EST 2005

Ladder filters aren't symmetrical, so they won't sound exactly the same on
both sidebands, even when the carrier point is optimized.

When carrier suppression is adjusted correctly at the DSB output (that is,
balanced between USB and LSB) there can still be a difference in carrier
presence USB vs, LSB owing to the carrier oscillator frequency position on
the shoulder  of the filter bandpass slope.  If the carrier oscillator is
closer to the center frequency of the filter on, say LSB, then it will pass
more low frequency audio and also allow more of whatever vestigal carrier
might exist to pass through the filter with less attenuation than on USB,
positioned further from center frequency.

73

Phil
k4dpk

VFO Stabilizers and PEP adapters for wattmeters...Check out
http://home.comcast.net/~k4dpk