[TenTec] Wireless Remote Control of Jupiter or Pegasus

doc kd4e at verizon.net
Sat Jan 8 11:14:07 EST 2005

Mark Erbaugh wrote:
> Interesting concept.  I see a few problems.
>
> 1) cost. From the second link the cost of two modems (one for each) is over
> 2K

They are popping up on the market at prices similar to the eBay
item, $125. for a matched pair including all accessories.

> 2)You need to control the 12 VDC power to the Pegasus / Jupiter.  These
> radios are not designed to have the external power switched without using
> the power switch. The instructions clear say to turn the power supply on
> before turning on the power switch.  The power on circuitry has some inrush
> protection.

Could a tone be sent via the audio side of the 2.4GHz link and be
detected, amplified, and used to activate a relay for the DC power?

> 3) this is nit picky, but in the US, the using an unlicensed device to
> supply transmit audio is in violation of FCC amateur regulations which
> prevent (execpt in specifically authorized cases) retransmission of audio
> from other services. Presumably this device works under Part 15 which
> constitutes another service.  The same restriction applies to using cordless
> microphones.

Once acquired by a Ham and used by a Ham on a Ham band does
it not become a Ham device?  (Same as using a commercial UHF
rig modified for 440 for repeater control?)

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
A blessed and joy-filled New Year to all!

West Central Florida  100% Linux.  Suse 9.2
Hallicrafters, Heathkit, Homebrew, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!