[TenTec] Omni VI confusion

Steve N4LQ n4lq at iglou.com
Sun Jan 9 18:40:06 EST 2005

Well sort of...There's lots of little things TenTec did when they came out
with the 564, VI+. For example. The option caused some birdies. They cut
cable 34 between the logic board and 9mhz IF and inserted RF chokes in
series then put heat shrink tubing over them In the VI+, they rethought the
process and installed a little circuit board with smd parts on it. Cable 34
goes into and out of that. Then there's the tcxo thing. Many option 3
upgrades you find will not have the tcxo unless it was upgraded later. That
is not part of the "option 3 upgrade". The VI+ came with the tcxo.
Furthermore, there are dozens of minor electrical changes between the option
3 and VI+ like entire circuit boards changing to SMD instead of leaded
parts. I hate SMD!!!. They put all the parts on the bottom of the boards
making it impossible to measure a voltage or trace anything without removing
the board.
Personally, I would much prefer the old Omni VI 563 with all the upgrades I
could get. Yes, you still have to contend with the IF boards being SMD but
at least the control board has good ole leaded parts.
I have just scratched the surface here. The whole thing evolved over the
years. You will not see 2 Omni VI's alike. Look at the boards and you will
see parts bridged across connectors, parts stuck under the boards, strange
lumps in cables containing parts and capacitors soldered from ICs to ground.

Steve N4LQ