[TenTec] New roofing filter in Omni VI- Opt. 1

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:35:40 EST 2005

W4ZV:
 >I NEVER listen with CW pitch higher than 450 Hz
and normally use 270 Hz for really weak signals.

N1JM wrote:
 >I wonder how many do use an offset that low?

         Apparently not many since most rigs these
days do not allow for Pitch <300 Hz.  Even going
to 300 Hz is not all that common, and most '90's
rigs only went to 400 Hz which was one reason I
never considered them.  When the FT-1000MP came
out it went to 300 Hz so I bit my tongue and
bought one.

         The issue could also be one of availability.
I used a TS-930S (and an 830 before that) for most
of my low-band DX-ing beginning in the early 80's.
Since it would go infinitely low, I was able to
learn that I could differentiate weak signals much
better at a very low pitch (as low as 240 Hz).  It
could be something unique to my ears but I believe
you will find many low-band guys who listen to sub-
noise floor signals use low pitches (ON4UN's book
notes the same).  It could very well be that since
most current era rigs don't go below 400 Hz, the
newer operators don't even realize what they are
missing since they can't easily go under 400 Hz.

         Of course in contests I use a higher pitch,
normally about 450 Hz and then offset my RX  by
200 Hz from my TX frequency to better catch off-
frequency callers quickly.

         One of the first suggestions I made to Ten-Tec
for Orion was to shift Spot below 300 Hz, and they
very kindly obliged...even down to 100 Hz which is
well below what I prefer!

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV