[TenTec] Looking backward?

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Jan 12 16:54:10 EST 2005

John,

I don't see it that way at all.
I think we're a long ways away from having a purely digital radio.
For the next several years to come we will have hybrid radios combining the
advantages of analog and digital technologies.  Just because we improve the
analog portion of the radio doesn't mean we're taking a step backwards.

Installing the INRAD roofing filter is a compromise, not just an
improvement.
You are giving up two modes (AM & FM) so that other modes (e.g., SSB, CW,
digital) will be improved.  Ten-Tec could have installed a narrower filter
by design, but my guess is that the bulk of the people then and still today
prefer to have two extra modes at the cost of some performance.

And we, being hams, are always looking to optimize our rigs to suit our
individual needs.  INRAD is helping many of us (e.g., dxers and contesters,
etc.) to do that.  It's progress, John, not a step backwards.

(of course that's just my humble opinion)

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of John Rippey
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 5:00 AM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Looking backward?

Even as I am considering getting the new INRAD "roofing" filter setup for
my OMNI VI, I can't help wondering: doesn't this improvement represent a
step backward in terms of technology? Adding analog filters on top of
analog filters as a compensation for shortcomings in various rigs seems to
me to be an odd way of moving forward. But it sure is cheaper than buying
new technology :-)

73,
John, W3ULS