[TenTec] Binaural (Stereo) CW Redux!

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Jan 13 03:11:02 EST 2005

Barry, as long as you think that way, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I wish to believe that if I can learn to use it, it will help.
I'm going to give it a(n) (open-minded) try.

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Barry N1EU
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 12:13 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Binaural (Stereo) CW Redux!

I do a fair amount of contesting and 99.9% of the time listen for callers
with a wide bandwith on my receiver.  Unless two callers are on exactly the
same frequency or there's an AGC issue, I just don't have problems
separating the signals with my brain.  I really don't think the binaural
gizmo will be of any use whatsoever for me.  To each their own.

What I do find to be very cool in separating signals is diversity reception
with separate antennas feeding each ear, but I don't expect most hams to be
able to manage that with their station setups.

73,
Barry N1EU

Jerry Volpe <kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com> wrote:

>John L Merrill wrote:
>
>>you were polite. don't you mean a sales gimmick? HI
>>
>> John N1JM
>>

>Binaural or stereo CW  is a different way of doing things. Not a
>gimmick. We have by necessity become  conditioned to let the receiver
>try and eliminate everything but one signal we want to hear... trouble
>is this technique produces audible distortions such as ringing and a
>somewhat bitting tone..... Yes, with binaural you open the filters up a
>bit allowing more audio and less distortion through.... and then in time
>your BRAIN does the separating in a much more comfortable and natural
>way. AND you will not miss that station calling you just off your
>critically adjusted bandpass... they are instead off to one side....
>softer... but understandable.
>
>Try to have an open mind. Naturally if you don't like something, for
>whatever reason... that is cool.... but remember words have power and
>therefore might be selected a bit more carefully.
>
>Binaural is not a gimmick but another way to solve a problem.... the
>problem of sorting through several CW signals at the same time. I think
>it was very forward thinking for the Ten-Tec engineer's to include this
>reception option  in the Orion and I imagine they felt so too.
>
>73,
>
>Jerry, KG6TT

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.