[TenTec] INRAD Omni VI roofing filter kit - success

Charles Greene cgreene at qsl.net
Fri Jan 14 16:15:22 EST 2005

Rick,

That answers one question I had.  Now another.  Why couldn't you install
both roofing filters, the 2400 Hz in series with the 600 Hz filter, and
only switch the 600 Hz filter with the N-1 switch.  That way you would have
two filters in tandom when the N-1 filter was switched in.  Otherwise, you
would have a 2400 roofing filter for SSB.  Not that I plan to do this, but
I was curious.

Another question:  Can you replace the stock 2400 Hz 9 MHz filter (Y2 on
the 9 MHz Mixer / IF Board) with an Inrad 754, 2800 Hz  9 Mhz filter?  At
my age I have problems understanding SSB on the OMNI-VI because of its
limited audio bandwidth and the LPF in my ears.  If you had a 2800 Hz
filter in the 9 MHz position, you could  use the PBT to offset the bandpass
of the 6.3 MHz IF up in frequency 300 Hz, so that the 9 MHz filter would
receive 300 to 2800 Hz and the 6.3 MHz 2400 standard filter would receive
600 to 2800 Hz.  Loss of below 600 Hz hardly affects intelligibility.  On
transmit, you would have 300 to 2800 Hz audio vice 300 to 2400 Hz audio.

Question 3.  Anyone know when the OMNI-VI roofing filters will hit the
market?  They are listed on the Inrad web site as sometime in the future.

Tnx,  Chas,  W1CG