[TenTec] INRAD Omni VI roofing filter kit - success

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 15 09:24:56 EST 2005

N4LQ wrote:
 >Someone suggested using the PROC button to activate the roofing. When in cw
mode, it still supplies DC voltage when activated but of course the
processor is inactive. The cw mode voltage can be picked off the control
board an fed into a logic gate along with the proc voltage to activate the
filter by pushing the proc button while in cw mode. Then you couldn't use
the roofing filter when in SSB mode using psk-31 so we are back to square 1.
Hmmm. what about that VOICE button? Maybe......

         George W2VJN got back to me on this:

 >Like the radio manufacturers I have designed the mod for the majority of
users of the Omni VI+.  Most users have an SSB filter in N1 and a CW filter
in N2.  (The older V and VI models only have one switch.)  The mod is
programmable to be activated with either N1 or N2 or both.  Note that this
mod is not designed for the earlier versions that have
only one narrow switch, although it will work with them.  Note also that a 4
pole, 600 Hz filter centered on 9000.7 will pass just about all of the
energy getting through your special 250 Hz filter.

 >It's a simple matter for someone to add an external switch to activate the
roofing filter without using the N1 and N2 buttons.

         I believe I would simply do the latter and would be tempted to
investigate activating the 600 Hz roofing filter only when CW is selected,
but I'll leave that to you Omni folks to decide.

         Other Omni VI questions as I'm checking Dave's rig:

1.  Any simple cure for a noisy AF Gain pot?  I may just need
to exercise it a bit but has anyone used any sort of cleaner on it?

2.  One of the meter lamps is out.  Are there replacements available
other than contacting Ten-Tec?  Anyone use LED substitutes?

                                         73,  Bill W4ZV