[TenTec] Jupiter

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Jan 15 11:07:42 EST 2005

Fish!

I think Jerome did quite an accurate description of the short comings of the
Jupiter, which, for someone who is not a contester aren't really that bad.

What didn't come out in his post is that the Jupiter is a lovely rig to
operate.  I've owned or at least used just about every rig that was ever on
the market, including owning several OMNIs (old and new series) and two
Orions.

My favorite rig outside of a contest is the Jupiter.  It's easy and fun to
use, especially with N4PY software.  You find lots of people who agree with
this.  Those who don't are typically the contesters or DXers who chase
really weak ones for hours.

It's "Horses for Courses" (or in this case, "Fishes for Dishes").

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of jerome schatten
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 8:31 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com; naturalreef at triad.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter

Dear Mr.Fish...

I too am a CW only guy. The Jupe has been the best CW rig on TX I've ever
owned in 53 years of hamming. The receive side IMHO, could have been done
better. I strongly suggest you try one if  you can, before you buy.

That said, most of the receive difficulties can be overcome with the
addition of an audio DSP box, something like the MFJ Super DSP.  The rig's
RX doesn't develop enough AGC to make listening to strong and weak sigs on
the higher bands very comfortable without adjusting the audio level. The
MFJ's audio agc added to the Jupe's overcomes that problem very nicely.  The

Jupe seems to be lacking a bit of gain on the higher bands -- 15, 17, 10,
although in side by side A/B tests, the Jupe heard everything my FT-920
heard and was a whole lot quieter about it. There is an IF gain pot on the
Jupe that can be tweaked to bring up the gain, but. still, something seems
missing. The Jupe's noise reduction scheme introduces quite a bit of
distortion on weak CW sigs, but the MFJ's variable noise reduction does
not -- it works far better.  The Jupe's IF noise blanker works reasonably
but not nearly as well as the blanker in my FT-920. And finally, the 500 hz
optional analog CW filter in the 920 provides better selectivity than the
300 hz digital filter in the Jupe.  But, shifting the MFJ filter into the CW

position and adjusting it along with the Jupe's PBT solves most of the 'near

in' selectivity problems for me (I'm not a contester).

I've had my Jupe over two years and haven't sold it -- that says something.
With the addition of the N4PY control software and a good DSP box, the Jupe
seems a very respectable performer at a very good price. I had the DSP box
hanging around, so I really didn't make an extra purchase.  Made in the USA
wasn't an issue for me as it is for you; I hope you don't shop at Wal-Mart.

With respect,
jerome -- VA7VV