[TenTec] Jupiter , Argo V, Orion

mike bryce prosolar at sssnet.com
Sun Jan 16 12:25:31 EST 2005

To me and my ears, the argonaut V is a better receiver. Although it is more
or less an exact copy of the receiver in the jupiter. My argonaut V hears
better on 17 meters and above. This I base on signal generator tests with
both sitting side by side.

I too like the analog meter.

the dsp filters seem "sharper" to me than those in the jupiter.

On the argonaut V:

memory control is a bit wacky...more buttons to push than the jupiter
Microphone gain is very touchy.. easy to overdrive the radio
speech processor almost useless. it's almost on the verge of being totally
unstable
NO DSP notch or noise filter! (what were they thinking!!)

On the jupiter:

Rec gain totally below par on 18 meters and above. While you can hear just
about eveything, you have to run the audio gain into it's max to produce a
signal. Then heaven forbid you work cw,cause the sidetone will blow you out
of the chair unless you turn down the audio before you transmit. Yes, the
sidetone volume is adjustable, but adjusting the audio volume of the radio
does change the sidetone volume too. ten tec service says not the screw with
the if gain pot.

The dsp notch and filter sometimes does not seem to work. Sometimes it does.
I've hear the notch filter kick in and grab a swl station and zap,it's gone.
then there's time I push the button in and out and can't tell a thing.

either radio:

No direct frequency input. Not a big deal, you can get software for that or
order the tuning pod for the jupiter. I use the memory locations to go from
one band to another. On the jupiter, you can go back and forth between bands
ie 20 to 40 or 40 to 20. ON the Argonaut V, you can't.

I have both radios. I have been a qrp person for over 20 years, so when I
want to play radio, I turn on the argonaut V. To me, it's be best rig ten
tec had since my argosy II.

The next ten tec radio?

Opinions are like arm pits. Everyone has at least two and they usually
stink. So having said that here's my list:

Operation with battery power to 11 volt, without the radio going nutty.

A receiver between that of the orion and the jupiter. ie better than the
jup, but not as expensive as the orion.

For a company that made the words dsp part of our technobabble, made a dsp
notch that really works.

Direct freq input

Fix than goofy volume sidetone problem. My goodness, my triton four had
independent sidetone and it stay the same level no matter how much you
increase the main volume control.

Sell it between $1500 and $2000

Mike Bryce WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems