[TenTec] OMNI VI product detector IMD

Clark Savage Turner csturner at kcbx.net
Mon Jan 17 00:42:33 EST 2005

Hey all -

Anyone with an early OMNI VI do the Ten Tec modification to improve the
in-passband performance of the product detector?  I do not mean the 2nd
order IMD mod that is done on the RF board (I have done this one and it
does not help).

If you have a fairly early OMNI VI, check with 2 stations in the
passband with S9 or so, see if you can hear the beat note.  G4PKT
produced a daughterboard product detector to cure the problem and Ten
Tec did a fix for later OMNI's to take care of this problem.

I spoke to Ten Tec and got some instructions to add two caps to the
IF/AF board, I did what was suggested and got no improvement.  I'll
call back to see if I have it correct, but just wonder if anyone has
taken care of this and knows exactly what the remedy is.  I have the
G4PKT board but would rather not install it if the Ten Tec remedy is
sufficient.

Clark
WA3JPG