[TenTec] OMNI VI product detector IMD

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 17 13:28:53 EST 2005

Hi Clark,

         I'm posting this to the reflector since it may be of
interest to others.  Yes, C6 and R31 were changed to values
Steve mentioned and both R44 and R45 appear to be
eliminated.  I don't know what their purpose was since
they are not on my schematic.

         BTW, In-band IMD tests have been a part of ARRL's
Expanded Test Reports for some time...at least since
November 1997 when the Omni VI+ test was done.

http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/testroc.pdf

5.15 IN-BAND IMD TEST
5.15.1 The purpose of the In-Band IMD Test is to measure the
intermodulation-distortion (IMD) products present
in the audio output of the receiver. This test is typically performed on
units that will undergo the expanded set of
tests. The receiver will be operated in the SSB mode at 14.200 MHz. Two
input signals, spaced 200 Hz apart, are
applied to the DUT and adjusted for equal output amplitude. (The audio
tones are approximately 900 and 1100
Hz.) The input signals are adjusted for approximately a single tone n S-9
level and the audio output is observed on
the Spectrum Analyzer. The tones are set for a 0 dB level for a single tone
reference. (This is unlike the transmit
two-tone test, where the -6 dB is used for a PEP reference level.) The AGC
fast option is used for this test.

In-band IMD on pages 26-27 of Omni VI+ ETR:
http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/lab/omni-6.pdf

Frequency       AGC     3rd order       5th order
14.020  Fast    -37             -52
14.020  Slow    -39             -57

(Not stated if Fast vs Slow AGC or S9 vs S9+40 signals.)

In-band IMD on pages 22-24 of Orion ETR:
http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/lab/orion_etrr.pdf

No tabular data given but graphs for all 4 cases of Fast vs Slow
and S9 vs S9+40.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV