[TenTec] Jupiter

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 22:21:15 EST 2005

Actually the N4PY software is an example of what can be done
when you apply plenty of computing horsepower and don't
constrain your radio user interface design to using an
embedded processor. Firmware 'execution' has little to do
with it. With low powered embedded processors you at best can
only emulate traditional knobs and buttons *only* user
interfaces. And with radio panel mounted buttons, knobs, and
displays you will *always* be limited to a narrowly defined
concept of what can be done.

The command sets for the recent TT radios are quite effective
and TT wisely chose to fully emulate the Pegasus in the
Jupiter so third parties could write software for two models
instead of just one. And their choice to have a more
RISC-like command/control instruction set opened up the
possibilities for much of what Carl has been able to do. The
Pegasus/Jupiter command set is miles ahead of most JA radios
in that respect. I haven't studied the Orion's command very
closely but it too seems to be quite extensive and flexible.

Where TT has been dropping the ball is how little they
encourage and support 3rd party development efforts publicly.
And they are also a bit slow (by computer world standards) to
add enhancements to the firmware to support even more outside
program features. And unless they as a company make the
transition from 'traditional radio design first with PC
capability added later' to a 'PC centric first' design
approach/philosophy this will continue being the case.

Bottom line is that most hams with software heavy radio
designs want lots of new software for their radios often. I
don't think that *any* of the existing mainstream radio
manufacturers have really grasped the marketing implications
and importance of that concept yet. Maybe someday they will.

Duane
N9DG