[TenTec] Jupiter

Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales sales at tentec.com
Tue Jan 18 11:28:30 EST 2005

At 10:28 AM 1/18/05 -0500, you wrote:
> > We gave away the source code to the GUI as well - and I see
> > that commercial software developers have generally taken our source
> > code (provided free) and turned it into a salable product - from which
> > Ten-Tec derives no income.
>
>TenTec derives extra income from doing this because of the enhanced value of
>the Jupiter and Pegasus from third party developers.  It is difficult to
>know how much TenTec sales have been helped by this but I believe it is not
>trivial.  I know several purchaser's of Jupiter's and Pegasus's that say one
>of the determining factors on purchasing the radio was the availability of
>third party software.
>
>Carl Moreschi N4PY
>Franklinton, NC

True - which was some of the incentive to give away the source code for
the GUI to start with rather than selling it (or keeping the code to
ourselves).
There are other examples....like providing InRad with engineering data so
they could develop their own series of filters for Ten-Tec transceivers.

The irony of this discussion over having not done recent firmware updates
for the
Jupiter is the large amount of negative discussion about the Orion because
we HAVE done updates so often.

I posted a message yesterday that was a statement of fact - that not having
done a firmware change in 15 months is completely different from no longer
supporting a transceiver.   I've repeated the facts again today.

Thanks
Scott Robbins
W4PA

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
   Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
   Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
   Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
   Email:  New product sales/product info         sales at tentec.com
              Service department                         service at tentec.com
   While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
   the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
   more complete answer to your inquiries.  Thanks!