[TenTec] Orion reset

Barry N1EU n1eu at netscape.net
Wed Jan 19 11:51:13 EST 2005

"n4lq" <n4lq at iglou.com> wrote:

>I was going to suggest that John go to a dealer and try out that PROIII
>but from his qth to Texas Towers it looks like 375 miles. I also see
>where John is a cw op so he might want to read my review on the P3 on
>Eham. I think each version of the Pro got a little worse when it came to
>thumpy cw reception. But then at least it doesn't lock up all the time
>like the Orions tend to do. My Orion didn't lock up but it seemed to
>loose features for no reason. It lost the NR feature and I never got it
>back even after multiple resets and reloads.

A couple of comments:
1. I briefly auditioned a P3 on cw and thought I might have been hearing what Steve described previously, in terms of noise outside the passband.  I'm not sure about it, but would want to be before buying one considering the return policy.
2. My Orion doesn't and Steve's Orion didn't, so I'm not sure why Steve says that "Orions tend to" (lock up, that is).
3. I'm not big on dsp NR of any flavor, or sweep displays for that matter.  If I woke up one morning and someone removed them from my Orion during the night, I probably would never know.  IMHO, dsp NR does nothing my brain can't do to make signals more readable and to my ears, introduces very objectionable audio artifacts.

73,
Barry N1EU

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.