[TenTec] RIT in Orion and Omni

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 20 12:47:05 EST 2005

WB4QDA wrote:
 >I know this sounds stupid but this corrected the RIT
encorder problem for  my Orion  and  another ham
friends Orion .Take hold of the encorder nob and pull
hard on it like you are trying to pull the nob off,
then let go. Once I did that my encorder started
working again and has worrked and is still working
today . This also worked for N4ZZ's Orion. Strange but
a simple fix for us ,so I hope it works for you. It
might save you a trip to Ten-Tec

         Thanks for the tip John and others!  Mine is
working fine now but I'll remember this if it starts
acting up again.  Coincidentally, I've been working
on N4SU's Omni VI which had a VERY stiff RIT knob.
I was talking to Paul Clinton while ordering a
power switch for Dave's 962 P.S., and asked Paul
about the RIT.  His suggestion was to simply pull
the knob back from the front panel (after loosening
the hex screw of course).  I did so but had a heck
of a time pulling the knob off the shaft (which your
comment above reminded me of!).  Once I got it off,
I remounted it with a little more clearance and it
now turns as smooth as silk.

         If your idea works for Orion, I'll have to find
another reason to return my unit to Ten-Tec!  :-)

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV