[TenTec] Advantages of computer control for s DX'er

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Jan 24 01:52:36 EST 2005

Guys, the biggest problem is with multiple ops.  Believe me, it's difficult
enough to get them to even try an ORION under contest conditions.  If you
add a computer control program, they would strike.  But that's today.  Wait
5 more years and we may all be using it, even Tom!  After all, Rome wasn't
destroyed in a single day!  Old habits die hard.

For now I agree with Tom, but my plan is to try it in some contest that is
not important to me.  That way it won't matter if the control program
initially slows me down.  Maybe I'll change my opinion once I get used to
it.  So far I haven't even managed to learn all the features in a
non-contest time.  Just don't spend enough time on the radio.

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Tommy
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 2:31 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Advantages of computer control for s DX'er

There is no reason to get defensive about your program, I did not
mention any specific program by name. The N4PY program is known to
be excellent plus add some excellent capability to the Orion. Most
everyone who uses it say's they really like it. However one could
argue that I can move up 5kc with my Orion just as quick as you can
reach over, grab your mouse, move the cursor to the correct screen
location, and then click a mouse. My personal choice is to not to
use a control program, and not because anything may be wrong with
it, simply because I prefer 'hands on' operation...just old
fashioned maybe? But it still works for me in DX'ing and especially
in contesting.

Tom - W4BQF