[TenTec] Advantages of computer control for s DX'er - N9DG'sVHF+ lineup

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Jan 24 16:17:09 EST 2005

For the record, I first used a computer to log CQWW contest in 1978 - some
10 years before Bill stated.  My team (the Technical University Club Station
in Berlin) logged in paper too because they didn't trust my computer!  That
was on a very expensive Tektronix desktop computer.  The only problem was,
we had to physically separate the computer from the RX because it caused
interference. No big deal because back then we always had 4 or 5 guys
working a shift in a Multi-Single effort.  Computing the final score took
about 15 or 20 minutes.

A few years later we were doing it on inexpensive computers (pre-PC),
sitting next to the radio.

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Bill Tippett
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 4:51 AM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Advantages of computer control for s DX'er - N9DG'sVHF+
lineup

W9OY wrote:
 >The advantages are obvious and no serious DXer or
contester of the very near future will be without
total software control.  If he is without software
control he will soon be a has-been on the DX
Contesting circuit.  The improved productivity is
obvious.  You want proof? Look at the N1MM effort.
Try standing up to someone running N1MM using the old
paper and pencil dupe method, while twiddling your
knob.

         Lee you are making a bit of a mental leap
here.  Computer logging has been around since
the late 80's, which your statement certainly
applies to, but "total software control" is
well beyond that.  I subscribe to the KISS
philosophy for station control, and do not
want to access my radio only via a computer.
I have yet to see any computer program as
user-friendly as knobs on the radio, which I
am continually adjusting in contests.  Imagine
tuning your VFO's, adjusting the BW, gain,
etc, all simultaneously with a mouse (or even
add an encoder), and you get the picture.  If you
make a front panel with a bunch of knobs, haven't
you really duplicated the radio?  A front panel
with multiple knobs that provide instant and
simultaneous access via fingertip control has
been a proven control model over the years.  I
also doubt we'll see pilots controlling planes
with a mouse and keyboard any time soon!

         Perhaps a better comparison would be someone
using a SDR/computer versus a traditional radio.
I'll bet you will not find ONE serious contester
doing that (by serious I mean anyone who actually
wins contests).

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV