[TenTec] My Orion

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Tue Jan 25 18:04:38 EST 2005

Below is a copy of an email I recently posted to TTBUG (Ten Tec
firmware group). The suggestion about the keying loops came from
W9GE.

"My Orion is 19 months old.

Since owning it I have had continious problems with the Orion
randomly dropping RF output power when using my Titan 3 in Keying
Loop #1. Since getting my Titan 3 back from TT repair, I have been
turning on BOTH Keying Loop's, even with nothing connected to Keying
Loop #2. Two weeks now with no RF power loss when using the Titan 3
in Keying Loop #1. This is with the sweep either turned on or turned
off, does not seem to matter.

I do some high speed CW (not ONLY high speed CW) and when I first
tried running my Orion up to 50 wpm, the dots would shorten
seriously, to the point that my Orion could not be copied by others
at that speed. Now with v1.372 and with v1.373b5, I have
successfully ran my Orion up as high as 74 wpm, full QSK, without
the dots shortening. My critical QSO partners say the Orion is now
perfectly copyable at 74 wpm. When I move to 76 wpm, the dots start
shortening again. However I think this is a fantastic improvement
and certainly would not ask any more from the Orion. FYI...if you
run CW over about 50 wpm, you must drop Tr down to the 3ms position
(which is actually a Tr of 1ms, the exact same as the Omni 6 and
Omni 6 Plus).

Absolutely great improvement on the CW full QSK capability of the
Orion!!

Tom - W4BQF"

Tom - W4BQF