[TenTec] Cheap Ferrites (was Orion reset)

A. Sewell n5na at att.net
Thu Jan 27 15:10:34 EST 2005

I ordered a bag of these ferrites too.  When I received them I tested
them per K0BG's procedure at http://www.k0bg.com/beads.html.  I don't
know what mix they are but they are definitely not 43 or 31.  With five
turns thru the bead I get a resistance of ~140 and an inductance of 11
uH.  If they were 43 they should have a resistance of ~500 and an
inductance of ~40 uH.

I have tried this procedure on some other ferrite beads I have and I do
get the mix 43 values so K0BG's procedure does work.

So, it seems questionable how effective these cheap ferrites beads will
be.  Moral of the story....you get what you pay for!

73,

Alan  N5NA