[TenTec] Inrad taking orders for Omni VI roofing filter***500hz

Clark Savage Turner csturner at kcbx.net
Sun Jan 30 13:42:01 EST 2005

Roger and Chuck -

Thanks for the explanations, it is good to see the basics of the
argument for a different center frequency.  I believe I was the first
guy to have the 221 (after bugging Ten Tec along with a few other
diehards :-) and it is my favorite filter for CW when the going gets
rough or I need to dig into the noise.

So, the bottom line seems to be that

1) I lose a bit of PBT range (the intersection of the response curves
is narrower than it ought to be) that is due to extra losses where
either filter curve drops off.

I had thought that a 4 pole filter with 600 Hz 6 db points would not
have much of a shape factor (I ought to go look at the curve) and it
would be a very small effect.  I certainly don't notice much loss at
the center of the 221 filter when I use it (with the roofing filter
engaged).  I understand completely how the edges of the response will
drop off faster than the might otherwise.

Heck, I use the INRAD 400 Hz filter in both IF's, too, I ought to check
the center frequencies for those.  I recall that the 9 MHz version of
the 400 Hz CW filter from INRAD had a compromise center frequency per
the considerations above, is it 600 Hz?  Heck, I should draw myself a
block diagram of my IF/PBT chain in my OMNI VI and think about it.

Again, thanks for helping me think about this.

Clark
WA3JPG