[TenTec] radar

Dennis O'Connor k8do at mailblocks.com
Sun Jul 3 09:36:05 EDT 2005

1. You were speeding - so that is not in discussion... The discussion is what should your response be...

2. Do you have any points on your license now?
    a) If the answer is NO, then the best option is to pay the ticket, take the points...
    b) If the answer is YES 'and' the points from this ticket are going to put your license in jeopardy, then you need to spend from $3K to $5K for a competent lawyer... One who specializes in radar issues, not just the first ad in the yellow pages...
Basically, what he will do is a thorough search of the police department records to see if the radar gun is calibrated and current, if the officer's certification to operate the gun is current,  if the tech who certifies the radar is current on his certificate renewal, that his radio license is current,  that the department has all the appropriate licenses and has paid the manufacturer/state/feds the appropriate licensing renewal fees , if ALL of the radio testing gear at the police shop is in current calibration, and on, and on, and on, right down to the nuts and bolts drawer... He will also have an independent expert go to the scene of the ticket and do a radar gun search for interference, make videos, interview witnesses, etc...
Also he will search the issuing officers record for citizen complaints, disciplinary actions, the number of radar tickets he issues, his record in court, his marital status, his credit rating, etc. : he will 'absolutely' go up this officers butt with a microscope - in public...
Many police departments when hit with this blizzard of subpoenas for their records, and for depositions of everyone from the officer and the radio tech, right up to the Chief of Police, will blink, realize that they cannot withstand a bright light shining in public upon their record keeping and their policies, and their personal behavior, and will negotiate the ticket or even withdraw it outright...

Now, someone will jump in me about my motivation, my judgement, my manhood, that I am a police basher, etc... Let me say that police officers do a dirty job for peanuts in pay...  I wouldn't get out of bed for what they are paid for putting their ass on the line every day... If you have never been out in the street on a dark night, with a target on your chest, err, I mean badge, and if you have never pulled the limp, bleeding, body of a 6 year old from a car after a drunk driver t-boned the mothers car, and started doing mouth-to-mouth on blood and vomit, then don't open your mouth to me about my motivation...

My best advice to you is to pay the ticket - and don't whine...  But, if you feel you have to contest it, then now you know how...

denny