[TenTec] FN Ham Radio (F'fen) report

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 12:49:14 EDT 2005

<<<One of the biggest advantages of FN over Dayton is the size of the [new]
facility.  All of the ham fest events, like lectures or meetings (i.e., the
contest forum) took place on-site in modern, air conditioned rooms.  There
was no need to relocate to some hotel or other off-site facility.>>>

I have been saying for the past 5 years that the hamvention, if they want to
grow or hang on, has to find a decent  venue, i.e. a modern indoor facility
(except for the flea market) with air condx, carpet, decent restrooms, ....
the things you expect at any professional trade show.   find a medium sized
midwest city like Indianapolis, with a site that isn't too expensive to rent
but is better than the pit the hara arena has become.   sure, it would cost
a bit more but it would be worth it.   this is the premier ham show in north
america, one of the big three in the world, but compared to the other two,
it is an embarrassment.    I cringed, the last time I was there...people are
travelling from Asia and Europe to find an old dirty network of uneven,
added on buildings, cracked concrete and linolium floors, no AC, bad
food...it could still be called Dayton Hamvention, and it could still be in
Dayton (I have nothing against Dayton) but they really need to find a new
facility.

BTW, someone please explain why mention of an auction here is taboo.   It
seems nutty.  It's not like we're selling plutonium.

73,
rob/k5uj