[TenTec] Omni C Sidetone

WA3FIY wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Tue Jul 5 14:59:25 EDT 2005

I don't think the Omni C uses any IC's in the sidetone.  At
least mine did not.  It used a unijunction transistor oscillator
very similar to that used in the Triton, Corsair, Argosy and
possibly others.  The output waveform is in the form of a
sawtooth, very rich in harmonics.  That is then passed through
a two pole (if I recall correctly) R/C filter removing the higher
order harmonics but leaving some of the lower order ones.    I
never found the tone too obnoxious but I usually did increase
the value of the second filter capacitor by a factor of 5 or so.
That reduces the amplitude of the sidetone but also reduces
the harmonic content.

This modified sidetone and my Trimm Professional headphones
produces the most pleasant sidetone of all my rigs.

73,

-Lee-