[TenTec] ARRL Review of FT-9000

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Jul 6 16:48:42 EDT 2005

John, perhaps the difference is that the people who own Ten-Tec and the
people who work for Ten-Tec and design and build the radios, are hams who
also use the radios on the air.

I can only imagine that any hams working for Yaesu are so far down the
management food chain that they have no influence on the products.

It is completely unacceptable that the click problem has been handed down
from generation to generation.  Shame on Yaesu!

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of John Rippey
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 1:27 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ARRL Review of FT-9000

I wouldn't be so hard on the QST reviewers. I think a careful reading of
all of the comments provide a pretty good sense of the 9000's performance,
ditto the Orion review of some months back.

I was particularly struck by the comments in the 9000 review regarding
clicks/thumps in sending CW (I assume, but do not know, that the comments
have to do with audio rather than over-the-air clicks). Every single Yaesu
I've owned has clicked/thumped in the headphones to a degree that is
unacceptable (to me, at least), and it has nothing to do with running semi
or full break-in. Also, I just don't get why this unpleasant characteristic
is passed on from one model to another. Enough is enough. Then, of course,
there are the over-the-air clicks. I think in the case of recent Mark V's
at least this has been fixed. Don't know about the 9000.

My Argonaut V in contrast sounds pure as can be. I don't get it, unless, as
W4ZV has pointed out in a recent post, some people have damaged hearing and
the Yaesu engineers are in that group.  But, hey, W4PA reportedly attends
rock concerts and look at the results from Sevierville. It's all very
confusing.

73,
John, W3ULS