[TenTec] magic wire antennas

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Jul 7 14:26:31 EDT 2005

When I was in the U.S. Army Signal Corps about 35 years ago, we often had to
come up on weird frequencies at a moments notice.

Using this "B&W dummy load", we were able to establish communications all
over the world, from Viet Nam to D.C. (I was located in Berlin).  Our output
power was 2KW.

Oh yes, let me add, I was an experienced ham.  Most of the people working
with and for me were not.  They needed something which was "Plug-n-Play",
not "Plug-n-Pray" and could be tuned to all frequencies.

Of course we had an army manual with tables portraying wire lengths for
building dipoles for all the various frequencies.  Any of the guys could
read the table and build the dipole.  Most hadn't a clue what to do if for
some reason the antenna did not resonate on that frequency at that
particular location.  Yet the mission required us to be up on a frequency in
short notice.

Give me two hours notice and I'll build a better antenna for any frequency.
Give me 5 minutes notice and I'll go get a cup of coffee, crank up the
power, and make the contact on the B&W.

It's horses for courses, guys.

73
Rick