[TenTec] psk on orion

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Thu Jul 7 22:44:07 EDT 2005

I've run my Paragon's and my Omni VI+ on PSK-31 and other digital modes for
years.  No interface required.  Sigs fed to and from the sound card via 1/8"
phone to RCA shielded cables to the back of the radio.  My sound card does
have Line In and Line Out level ports.  Those cards which only have MIC In
and Speaker Out will require some basic external attenuation to really work
well.  The resistive pads are basic L networks consisting of a 10K ohm
resistor in series and a 1K ohm shunt leg.  I've put them in the 1/8" phone
connector shell by using 1/8 watt axial lead resistors.  I use VOX control
for the TX/RX switching.  Set the VOX hang time to minimum.  Never had a
problem with the first bit of data being clipped.  Thanks to TT and fast
switching radios.

Software is what ever you want to use.  At present, I use WSJT and MixW2
quite successfully.  The ORION will be no different.  You will find it a
fine radio for digital modes.

73
Bob, K4TAX

P.S. -  Be sure and turn off WINDOWS sounds just in case you leave the radio
on and the VOX activated.  That way the world won't be blessed with the
Windows ding dong etc. during boot up or shut down of the computer.