[TenTec] "Radiates like Crazy"???? No

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sun Jul 10 06:29:36 EDT 2005

Well I remember it and it was actually Lew himself that introduced me to
openwire feedline back in 1963.  I then stole the plastic hair curlers from
my two teenage sisters and used them to build my first openwire!
Unfortunately, when they found out and squealed to mom, the shit hit the
fan.  I had to wash dishes for a month.  (It was worth it).

I remember Lew being asked about the optimum lengths for the dipole and the
feedline and his reply was, the length should be as long as it is between
the two trees you hang it on, minus a couple of feet, and the feedline
should be as long as it takes to reach from the feedpoint of the dipole to
the shack!  Everybody laughed.

The beauty of the openwire was that before switching to it, I had multiple
dipoles running all over the place and the parents and neighbors were always
shaking their heads and complaining.  After switching to openwire, I had
just one simple dipole and everybody was at least a little bit happier.

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Mike Brown
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 7:22 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "Radiates like Crazy"???? No

In rental houses, where you can't put up a tower, my favorite antenna was
the longest dipole I could use (generally around 80m length) fed with 450
ohm twin lead all the way back to the tuner. The only RFI problems I had
were from antenna placement, not the antenna. But, I think it's already been

said here already, but if you use a balanced antenna, with a balanced load
(make sure both legs are equal length) you shouldn't have any problems. Some

of you may remember the article back in the 80's I think by Lew McCoy W1ICP
who wrote antenna articles for CQ magazine. He said if your dipole comes out

to 102', call it a G5RV. If it's anything else call it a "Real McCoy". I
always enjoyed reading his articles.

73, Mike K9MI