[TenTec] QST Delta II/Argonaut II reviews (was: FT-9000)

Caitlyn M. Martin mizuhoradio at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 17:59:53 EDT 2005

Hi, Pat, and everyone else,

> Glad you are back on the reflector after a few years
> hiatus.

I've actually been back for a few months since
deciding to purchase my Argonaut V.  I just don't post
a lot.

> Yes. I still have my Delta II that I bought used
> from Ten-Tec in 1993.  I used it mobile for several
> years and found it to be a great rig in the car.
> The Jones filter/PBT combination would eliminate
> most adjacent frequency interference on either SSB
> or CW.

I agree that it was a very decent rig in it's time.  I
don't understand why one person on list called it
"garbage" for the price.  I had a chance to A/B
compare it to two rigs it competed with (Icom IC-751A,
Kenwood TS-850S) and I felt it actually outperformed
both of those radios in terms of it's ability to pull
out a weak signal from amid stronger ones.  The
filtering/selectivity was truly excellent.  Compared
to today's DDS/DSP receivers the synthesizer was a bit
noisy but it was very much up to par with what was
offered when the Delta II/Argonaut II was new.

AM receive was a bit muddy but not horrible.  It was
certainly better than a typical Kenwood rig without
the optional AM filter though not nearly as good as a
similar Kenwood with the AM filter fitted.

> The QSK is legendary and the noise
> blanker (and that on the Scout) is the best I have
> ever used.

Agreed.  Ten Tec always seems to get QSK right.

Thanks for your comments.  I'm glad to see that I'm
not the only one who really liked the Delta
II/Argonaut II.  As I said in another post I do
believe that time and technology have marched on and
the Argonaut V is vastly superior to those rigs, but
even today they aren't bad.

73,
Caity
K7VO/8

Caitlyn M. Martin - K7VO
http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo
Blog: http://k7vo.blogspot.com
ARRL QRP-ARCI #11018 ARS #445 G-QRP #11577 AK QRP #637