[TenTec] vertical dipoles

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 12 10:31:45 EDT 2005

	There is another alternative to
center-fed vertical dipoles  It is not very
difficult to end feed dipoles which are
much simpler mechanically.  There's
a good collection of information here:

http://webpages.charter.net/aa5tb/efha.html

	Par Electronics makes monoband
commercial versions that will handle 100 Watts
without a counterpoise wire.  More info here:

http://www.parelectronics.com/end_fedz.htm

They also make a multiband (10/20/40) version
which is limited to 25 Watts.  It is not on their
website, but can be seen here:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamwire/1952.html

I have the previous EF-20/40 version which has
now been replaced by the 10/20/40 antenna.
It is a fabulous antenna for portable / QRP,
costs <$60, and can be easily erected with
a slingshot into a single tree for support.  It
is also quite invisible for those worried about
stealth.

	In the IARU this weekend, I was
casually using one of these from a mountain
top cabin location ($60 antenna but a $1M
location!).  Running maximum output from
my Elecraft K2 (~15 Watts), I made about
260 QSO's including many, many EU stations.
While it worked quite well on 20m (including
a UA9 in CQ Zone 18), I was absolutely
astounded at its performance on 40m.  In
~40 minutes from about 0215-0255 Saturday,
I worked 27 DX stations, mostly EU but also
5B4 (first call), LU and CX.  Before sunup
I added several VK's, ZL's and more South
Americans on 40m, although I had to work
harder than I did in working EU.

	I have the components to make a
high-power matching system for one of
these and may try it from home to compare
it to a 180' EDZ up about 85'.  I was very
impressed, but it could be that the portable
mountain top location was the key.

	Par is owned by Dale Par W4OP
and he provides outstanding support.

			73,  Bill  W4ZV