[TenTec] vertical dipoles

gary ghoffman at spacetech.com
Tue Jul 12 22:55:44 EDT 2005

One certainly needs a tuner if one is going to connect the 50 ohm output of
a modern solid state rig to the high impedance at the end of a half wave
antenna.  Of course this is done all the time.  I recall that back in the
day, we could load a tube type rig with the plate circuits typical of that
day into just about anything, without an extra tuner.  Not that it was very
efficient !  But it was kinda fun.  Remember the old WWII era rigs that just
had a spring loaded terminal on the panel, and a single wire feeder was
attached to that. Of course, lots of tubes went up in smoke.  Yellow hot
plates in the tubes would wreck them in seconds if you didn't adjust the
circuit FAST  :)

73 de Gary, AA2IZ