[TenTec] Vertical Dipole "Fringe Benefits"

Ynkedragon@aol.com Ynkedragon at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 13:59:10 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/13/2005 11:51:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ablee at bellsouth.net writes:
Most folks in the USA have not, and probably won't in the next 20-50 years
(if ever), converted
to, or use, the metric system of measuring things (except those technocrats
that lurk in the
halls of 'white tower' edifices (ie MIT, Yale, Princeton, etc).
This is NOT intended to be a flame, and I don't lurk in any of the 'white
tower' edifices you mention.

Over the years I have found most Hams to be significantly smarter than the
"average bear" and that our hobby gives us the opportunity to learn things
through application.  One of those application things has been becoming comfortable
with metric measures for length and distance--particularly as it applies to
antennas and wavelengths (which are also a metric "thing").

There a a lot of measures where metic is still a bit obscure to me (thanks,
all, for the posts on the conversion web-sites), but because of this great Ham
Radio hobby I can visualize antennas for the 40 meter, not the 122 foot band.
So, give metric a little try and like a new word, it may become "yours."
73,  Blair k3yd