[TenTec] Vertical Dipole "Fringe Benefits

Douglas sparks06524 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 17:05:44 EDT 2005

I have an MFJ-1796 vertical antenna that I'm currently
using with my Corsair II. It's essentially a loaded
vertical dipole, fed at the midpoint, thus requiring
no radials.

For an antenna with an overall length of just 12 ft,
it works surprising well for 40 thru 2 meters.

There are loading coils and top hats on both ends.
I've gotten excellent reports while using it here in
Connecticut to Europe. It's designed to that the
bottom top hat/loading coil assembly is at a right
angle to clear the ground. I've run it at powers from
50 watts to 1KW output on CW without blowing it up.

It's installed on a mast only 8 ft above ground. I
have it at a beach cottage on a small lot.
It shows that it really doesn't take much to get on
the air, even from a small lot.

As a second atenna, I've got a shortened/loaded dipole
only 70 ft long from Spi-Ro, their AS-2.
It has an electrical length of 135 ft and I feed that
with 450 ohm ladder line, center only about 35 ft up,
ends about 15 ft up.
It works well on all bands except for 40 mtrs. I've
got to dicker with the feedline length. During the
last 160 mtr CW contest, I was able to work about 35
states, using 500 watts output from my Ten-Tec
Hercules (I) amp. Not band for a 70 ft antenna only 35
ft up.

73,

Doug/WA1TUT