[TenTec] Orion II

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Wed Jul 20 17:14:07 EDT 2005

Well, let me see.  Why might I be feeling somewhat disenfranchised just now?

Is it because an Orion II has been announced which will sport :-

**  a super bright TFT colour Display with CCFL backlighting  **
**  an 8-pin mic connector **
** a mixing architecture providing self-correction for frequency stability
**
**  a programmable line level output independent of front panel controls  **

Hell no!  Ten Tec responding to market demand is a great thing and I have
absolutely no problem with the concept of an Orion II.  For sure, I would
have preferred my Orions to have TFT colour displays but they weren't an
option.  I was happy to buy two of them despite that fact and I'm still
satisfied with the displays despite their lack of colour.  I can also live
happily without any of the other "must have" functionality, listed above.

So why am I unhappy?

I am unhappy because the promise of the multiple roofing filter capability
of Orion has never been fulfilled.  This functionality was a key factor in
my decision to purchase Orion but use of 250 Hz and 500 Hz roofing filters
causes such degradation of Orion's IP3 performance to make any use of them a
nonesense.  I have exchanged e-mails with Ten Tec over the last year
regarding this problem, which was acknowledged as a design issue by Jack
Birchfield himself, some ten months ago.  As recently as May this year, I
was told by Jack Birchfield that a new board had been designed to correct
this problem and would be in production as soon as the firmware issues had
been resolved.  All indications were that this fix for the original design
shortcoming would be available to existing Orion owners.  There was not even
a hint that purchase of an Orion II might be necessary to correct this
problem.  Of course, I may be jumping the gun here and there may be a plan
to offer this fix to the user base but there has been no hint of that in
today's announcements.

Now, why else might I be unhappy?

Over a year ago, I exchanged mails with Jack Birchfield and Gary Barbour
expressing concern over Orion's control response times and the sluggishness
of the computer interface.  I expressed concern that perhaps the particular
Dragonball processor chosen for use in Orion might lack the required
horsepower for the job.  As a consequence of those discussions, I felt
reassured that the Dragonball was up to the job and that these issues would
be addressed in firmware changes.  Based upon the comfort I was given, I
bought my second Orion.

So why does Orion II boast:-

"A new 32-bit control processor using the latest generation Freescale
DragonBall Super VZ chip. (Which) Provides faster front panel control
response and accelerated remote operation via RS-232."

In these two areas, Orion performs inadequately.  I have been led to believe
these issues will be fixed AND specifically, fixed for those of us who have
already invested in Orion.  Today's announcements suggest otherwise.  If my
reading of the situation is correct, then I have every right to be feeling
cheated.

Hopefully, I am over-reacting and positive announcements will be forthcoming
regarding these two important issues for Orion owners.

Bob Henderson, 5B4AGN