[TenTec] Orion - Lemons to Lemonade

Lee Crocker w9oy at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 14:43:45 EDT 2005

Bill

I think a better retrofit can easily be accomplished.
In the 1000 filter slot plug in a newly designed
daughter board.

This board would consist of 3 filter slots.  1000hz
600hz and 300hz.

The 500 and 250 hz slots are permanently disabled and
disconnected from their control voltages.

There are however 3 available control voltages: one
that turns on the 1000hz, one that turns on 500hz and
one that turns on 250hz.  These would be re-routed to
the new 1000 (default) 600 and 300.

You therefore have all the components available to
easily include all the filter capability of the new
radio.  The control logic and center freq setup is
left to firmware.  I re-designed the IF in my TS-820
that did precisely this using diode logic about 30
years ago and it worked great.

The board should be trivial to design and should be
easy to implament in the radio for anyone handy with a
soldering pencil.

73  W9OY