[TenTec] Orion II

Martin Kratoska marcom at centrum.cz
Thu Jul 21 22:06:52 EDT 2005

Here are some (probably stupid) Orion II thoughts:

I can hardly employ the 6 or even 20 kHz wide filter so i wonder if T-T
can supply the Orion II with the 600 Hz and 1.8 kHz filters instead
(however the scope seems meaningless for me :-) as standard. The 8 pin
mic receptacle and programmable line output seems to be a marketing
trick (oriented to a 'modern ham') rather than an improvement. This
applies also to the color display in particular. Any processor would be
never 'overpowered' and if the Dragonball seems to be cumbersome the
better way would be another brand. I would appreciate a high-speed QSK
(>50 wpm) and PIN diode T/R switching instead a clumsy relay. Finally,
an alu die-cast chassis (instead of screwed metal sheets) would sure
improve the RF-tightness and stability. Is it too much to ask?

73,
Martin, OK1RR