[TenTec] Orion II

Toby Pennington toby423 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 22 07:35:31 EDT 2005

All of this anxiety about the Original Orion could have been avoided if TT
had released the 2.0 upgrade with all of it's "supposed" improvements before
announcing a new Orion 2.

This is a strange strategy for a company who has not delivered on its
original promises  for Orion 1 to drop the ball and produce a replacement
before the initial product is working properly.  Advertised promises about a
" real time sweep " is one example.  TenTec could be liable for making
claims it did not or is not willing to deliver on.

My take on it is they could not get Orion 1 fixed and had to move on.  This
was a really bad executive decision to announce Orion 2 before the expected
improvments on the Original Orion were delivered.  It makes no marketing
sense at all.

It is illogical that the two Orions can track one another with the same
updates on in to the future with different processor chips and seven
different boards.  We may see some minor improvements with 2.0 but it will
stop there,  and the emphasis then will be shifted to the new version.

I feel especially sorry for the guys who bought Orion 1 during the past
couple of months and then they wake up one morning to find their "updateable
in to the future rig" has been replaced and the value of their investment
has dropped considerably.

Lets hope that TT will make some accomodations for a trade up to the new
Orion to those people who purchased in the past few months as they have been
especially hit hard.