[TenTec] 30-day Return Policy

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Sat Jul 23 08:48:11 EDT 2005

One of the things we, as hams, have always liked about Ten Tec is
their new gear return policy. It has always seemed to be very
generous and above board. Ten Tec's 30-day return policy as defined
on their web site:

"30 day return policy: All new and demo (non-kit) Ten-Tec equipment
sold factory direct is sold on a 30 day trial period. If within 30
days of purchase you decide not to keep the equipment it may be
returned to us for a purchase price refund, less shipping charges.
Please call our sales department at (800) 833-7373 or (865) 453-7172
and request a return merchandise authorization number - this will
greatly speed up the processing of your refund. Return items to
Ten-Tec, 1185 Dolly Parton Parkway, Sevierville, TN 37862. Include a
note with any returned equipment with your name, address, and
telephone number and the RMA number. For equipment sold through our
international dealers, it is at their discretion to set their own
sales and return policies."

However, all is not quite as neat and clean as we have always
thought. It turns out that if you return a new product under their
generous policy, that MAY be reason for them to refuse to sell you
another one of their products. In addition, if you give a fair and
honest evaluation of their product on eHAM, but it is not a favorable
review, or one to their liking, this too, may be reason for them to
refuse to sell you another radio.

As I already have enough good Ten Tec radios, this will not affect me
personally, however I think it is important for all of the ham
community to know how this 30-day return policy really works. Again,
buyer beware! I have permission from the writer of these email to
reproduce this:

"xxx, you and I are not the only ones who have been given the cold
shoulder by T-T.   I have talked to others today who had a similar
experience.  Here is my response to T-T sent to them just now.  You
can share it with your friends if you wish.

Why Stan, I am profoundly disappointed in you and T-T for taking this
attitude and refusing to sell me an Orion 2.  Sour grapes Stan or
lack of faith in the reliability and performance of your
products?  Not only is your refusal to sell me the Orion 2 in
violation of state and federal trade laws it's just bad form to treat
a fellow ham in this manner.  Because T-T doesn't care to make public
their hidden policy of rejecting purchase orders based on
unsatisfactory reviews of their equipment or services appearing on
such media as eHam I have decided to share your response with our
fellow amateurs on the ham bands, most of whom by the way have
responded with "I told you so" or "we had similar problems with T-T".

I will be looking for you at the next Dayton Hamvention Stan.

Until then Stan, sit down, take a pill, and have a nice day...

xxx

Subject: RE: Icom 7800

HI xxxx, what a pleasure to hear from you again.  I haven't been on
40m lately due mainly to a combination of band conditions and QRN in
this area from summer storms.  In addition, I have been tied up
selling our second home down in xxxxxxxxxxx.

Yes, I decided to put my 7800 up for sale in order to buy either an
FTDX-9000 or the new Orion 2.  The 7800 is a wonderful radio but I
just wanted to try something else and I was caught up with the hype
on the Orion 2 and sent in my order for one this morning.  Guess what
came back a few hours later?  You won't believe this but below is a
cut and past of the reply I got from Stan Brock at T-T:

Dear xxx:

We thank you for your interest in the new Ten-Tec Orion II.  I am
sorry, because
of previous RMA's and eham reviews we are unable to provide the style of
radio which will meet your requirements.  Your order has been deleted.

73,
Stan Brock, WD0BGS
Amateur Radio Sales

A couple of years ago I ordered one of their Jupiter transceivers
only to find out after it arrived that it had performance
problems.  I called TT and discussed the issues and they said to
return it and they would replace it.  They did that with another
Jupiter only this time the receiver in that Jupiter was found to have
lots of birdies and very poor sensitivity on the 17m-10m bands.  I
sent it back asking for a refund under their 30 return policy.  Thus
the RMAs their talking about.  I made the mistake (??) of giving them
a rather poor review on eHam and apparently they are holding this
against me now and refusing now to sell me an Orion 2.  xxxx, you
don't want to hear what I now think about T-T's management and their
products.  I think what they have done is not only in violation of
state and federal trade laws it is simply bad form to snub a fellow
amateur.  Oh well, live and learn.  They just bought themselves a
load of bad publicity if anyone ever asks me about T-T.

So, there you have it xxxx.  I guess some guys like me are never
satisfied. hi hi.

CU on the bands and till then 73,

Xxx XXXXX

CW is for REAL hams !