[TenTec] One More Time

Steve Baron - KB3MM SteveBaron at StarLinX.com
Sat Jul 23 13:47:54 EDT 2005

I wwoudn't want to go back to one of my older rigs....TS820, etc.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX" <RMcGraw at Blomand.Net>
To: "Tentec" <tentec at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 03:38
Subject: [TenTec] One More Time

> OK folks, lets face it, no one is happy. Oh but there are some that write
and say that have an Orion and are very satisfied with their purchase.  Then
there's those that feel as though they have been mislead, ripped off,
downtrodden and abused and have purchased a dead-end radio.  Then there's
those that have a really nice radio for the past 2 years, loved every minute
of the time with the radio.  And then those that have had to re-boot or
restart the radio with every action.

> In reality there's 6 choices:
> (a) Those that own an Orion
> (b) Those that don't own an Orion
> (c) Those that love their Orion
> (d) Those that don't like their Orion
> (e) Those that will buy from Tentec again
> (f) Those that will never buy from Tentec again
>
> Now lets face it, you've got to be in one of those 6 groups.
>
> Fact is, Tentec has heard your needs, provided updated software FREE,
added enhancements FREE, has a radio on the market that can be updated
without changing model numbers and is one of the, if not the, finest
receivers on the market today.  Have other companies done that?  I don't
think so.  But folks are not happy.  After all, the Orion it isn't perfect
and doesn't meet everyone's needs.  Folks, get real, it just won't happen.
If that were true, then Baskins Robbins would only serve one flavor of ice
cream and every one would love that one flavor.  On the other hand, give the
folks a choice and one group will be happy on one side and another group
will complain on the other side.  Welcome to the world of "real life" and
no, the world won't stop and let you off just because you belong to the
"happy side" or the "unhappy side".

> Now it seems that we keep forgetting, ham radio is only a hobby.
Expensive one to some, not so expensive to others.  It relative.  It's no
different and not much more expensive in many cases than flying RC model
planes.  One small radio glitch or one pilot error and a $2000 craft strikes
tera-firma at a rapid and usually accelerating pace leaving one to collect
the pieces and start all over.  And there's nothing offered FREE either.
Better yet, me for one, in the past I fly the real planes for a hobby.  Buy
the farm with one of those babies and you just spent some $30 to $50K or
more.  Oh, don't forget the required annual inspections at some $3000 to
$5000 each and these don't seem very free either.  And that too is only a
hobby.

> It's all a matter of perspective.  If you've stretched the family budget
to get an Orion and you aren't happy, then perhaps you've made the wrong
choice.  We do that from time to time because we're human.  Suck it up,
admit it and go on.  Life continues.   But if you have sold the old Buick
and the old truck and took the proceeds from the yard sale to get an Orion
and you are smiling from ear to ear then you've made a great decision.

> As to the ORION II, well time marches on.  Fact is, the electronics life
cycle today in the design world is only about 2 to 3 years at best.
Remember just a few years ago we thought a 486 processor was the latest and
greatest thing and would solve all our problems.  Little did we know.
Today, if you aren't at 1.3 GHz or faster, you're out of date.  Companies
must move ahead to stay alive in the world of business today.  Folks simply
demand it.  Decisions must be made and unfortunately those decisions will
not and never will make all folks happy.  I forget just who said it but I
really think it's true, "one can satisfy 1/2 of the folks 1/2 of the time
and all the folks none of the time".

> I applaud Tentec, the company owners, the engineers and the staff for
doing what they believe is correct for most of the folks in an effort to
provide a product that is unique and a good value to their customers.   Also
one that is on the leading edge of technology.   I really don't think that
many other companies that produce "hobby" equipment will listen and respond
to their customers with the depth and integrity that has been done and shown
by Tentec.