[TenTec] The future of The Orion I

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Jul 25 11:05:40 EDT 2005

Curt

Probably more so here in Europe than in the states because we have the
additional problem that Ten-Tec is currently not very well known.  The new
radio will increase brand awareness.

Now, to my reasoning:

People think there is going to be this fantastic new radio, when the reality
is that the improvements are incremental and hardly affect on-the-air
performance at all.

There's a lot of politics involved in judging the filter bank changes, but
the bottom line is, with the 600 Hz INRAD in the 1000 Hz slot, O1 will
perform as well as O2.

The processor change will make the controls execute more rapidly.  However
the guys I've spoken to at Ten-Tec tell me the switch from V1 to V2 has a
bigger impact on speed than the processor change.

I ran the 160m CQWW DX contest and hardly ever touched the radio.  I just
ran QSOs and worked DX.  I changed Freq. from the remote POD.  So how would
a new processor have helped?  I never touched any of the controls or changed
anything.

In other contests you might change bands, but you don't sit there all day
long and push buttons.  You listen and talk or key.

Once people realize that the O1 is effectively as good as the O2 in outright
performance, I think there will be high demand for it.

Right now many are speculating that O2 will be this super box that blows O1
out of the water.  That drives the resale value of O1 down.

If I'm correct in my assumptions above, then I stand by my statement that
the O1 price will ultimately go up and not down because availability, unlike
the availability of O2, is limited.  Supply and demand.

73
Rick