[TenTec] Simple Radio - No Computer Inside

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Tue Jul 26 16:56:56 EDT 2005

At Tuesday 08:38 AM 7/26/2005, you wrote:
>Thanks Tommy. I didn't mention it in the last post but I do have an
>OMNI VI+ too. Great radio for DXing. If there's anything lacking
>it's the dual receive in one box. And unless you've used the "old"
>OMNI series or a CORSAIR series radio with matching VFO so that you
>can do the A-B VFO split with dual receive, A AND B, in a big DX
>pile-up, its unlikely one will understand what you miss with the A-B
>VFO split and reverse functions in the newer TT radios like the OMNI
>V, OMNI VI series (and Paragon).  Oh, one can use a extra receiver
>or transceiver and a reed relay switching box interface with the
>newer TT transceivers, but its not the same as dual receive in a
>Corsair or Omni C/D (with external VFO) transceiver. The current
>radios are great for contesting but in the $2k-$3K range there's no
>really great dual receive, QSK, PTO, crystal based rig for DXing
>(unless you use a Ten-Tec classic).
>
>73 & DX,
>
>Gary - AB9M - www.csm-gh.com

Gary,

>I can't exactly follow what you are saying here "And unless you've
>used the "old" OMNI series or a CORSAIR series radio with matching
>VFO so that you can do the A-B VFO split with dual receive" ? I
>understand what you mean about the split operation, but how do you
>get dual receive by using the matching VFO?

The reason I ask is because I'm getting ready to get a SO2R set up
going, using two Omni 6 Plus rigs, which with these radios, I think,
is the only way you can get dual band rcvr/tx. I have a Corsair 2
with the external VFO, but I think I'm just missing a key word in
your description? Or maybe its been too long a time since I've set up
my Corsair 2?

Can you elaborate just a little please?

Thanks,

Tommy - W4BQF