[TenTec] The future of The Orion I

K4IA@aol.com K4IA at aol.com
Mon Jul 25 22:33:49 EDT 2005

Incredible, - for want of a $9 part a $4000+ radio becomes obsolete and
maybe even un-repairable!

In this case, there has already been a post (from TT?) pointing out the "no
longer recommended" message on the O2 Dragonball is misleading.  This
particular part number is being phased out in favor on a new one of the same  design
that does not contain lead solder - a capitulation to the Europeans who  have
banned lead.  But for Orion 1 owners, it is a real problem if the O1
Dragonball is no longer available.  If I wanted to "mothball" a  processor for future
repair of my Orion, should I get one and will TT reprogram  it for me?
Seriously for $9, I just might want to buy one and stick it in  the drawer- it isn't
costs about the same as a tube.  Anyone know where and  what part # to order?

Clearly one answer is to separate the computer from the radio so the
computer (which we expect to upgrade) can be upgraded separately and the radio
remains intact. Sooner or later, even the super-dooper brand new Dragonball  will
be obsolete and O2 owners will face the same dilemma all over again.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA