[TenTec] Simple Radio - No Computer Inside

Richard Lee rol2 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 26 14:00:22 EDT 2005

I've enjoyed my Omni VI+ greatly since I got it new in December, '98. That's
not to say I think it's perfect, but it still does pretty much what I expect
of it, and I find its ergonomics good. (I mostly operate and enjoy cw,
particularly on the low end of 40. I participate casually in contests, and
enjoy casual DXing. The occasional SSB service I get from the rig is
satisfactory.)

After previously owning Gateway and Dell computers, I've assembled my own PC
from parts I selected after careful research, and am well pleased with its
performance and the feeling that I can work on it without great fear of
'destroying' the thing.

I've learned over the years, however, that computer hardware (principally
the processor and its memory) seems to become obsolete (for my purposes) in
about 3-1/2 years. Which leads me to wonder about SDRs: even if one gets the
most-advanced, most-powerful processor available in an SDR one purchases, is
the expected lifetime (before obsolescence) of the processor limited to
several years? I've tentatively concluded that it is not feasible to upgrade
the processor in an SDR. What's the solution?

73,
-Rich, W2EG